The Novosibirsk Institute of Organic Chemistry conducts fundamental and applied research in the following areas:
- studying the mechanisms of reactions of organic compounds and molecular rearrangements; the structure and properties of compounds and active intermediate species, including the methods for quantum chemical calculations of the structure and properties of compounds;
- methods for synthesizing aromatic, fluoroorganic, heterocyclic and heteroatomic (containing nitrogen, sulfur, etc. atoms) compounds, including stable radicals, polymers, and monomers;
- elaboration of analytical and instrumental procedures for identifying the structure and configuration of organic compounds and environmental monitoring;
- synthesis, investigation of properties, and formation of organic, hybrid, and polymeric materials; development of the foundations of the technologies for producing the compounds and agents of practical importance;
- extraction methods and procedures, chemical nature, reactivity, and biological activity of plant metabolites. Targeted synthetic transformations, investigation of pharmacological properties and the mechanism of action of biologically active agents.