NEW HIGHLY EFFECTIVE ANTICANCER AGENT
Vorozhtsov Institute of Organic Chemistry of Siberian Branch of the RAS together with Institute of Chemical Biology and Fundamental Medicine of Siberian Branch of the RAS has developed a new highly effective low toxic anticancer agent – METHYL ETHER 2-CIANO-3,12-DIOXO-1(2),11(9)-DIEN-11-DEOXO GLYCYRRHETINIC ACID. The compound is synthesized from glycyrrhetinic acid – the main metabolite of licorice root. The given agent is an analogue of bardoxolone methyl which belongs to a fundamentally novel type of anticancer agents [now the agent is at the late-stage clinical trials in Reata Pharmaceuticals, Inc., USA].
The agent displays high anticancer activity against a broad spectrum of tumor cell types, including the cells exhibiting multidrug resistance phenotype.
Technical and economic advantages
- Semi-synthetic low toxic agent causing programmed cancer cells death (apoptosis).
- Produced from available and cheap domestic raw materials (the cost of starting materials in the production of the agent is 60 times lower as compared to that of a widely tested analogue).
- Activity of the agent is 4 times higher than the activity of its analogue.
- Chemotherapy of oncology diseases.
Patent of the RF № 2401273 ofOctober 10, 2010 «Anticancer triterpene agent obtained by modification of glycyrrhetinic acid». О.V. Salomatina, N.F. Salakhutdinov, G.A. Tolstikov, Е.B. Logashenko, М.А. Zenkova, V.V. Vlasov.
- Pre-clinic testing in vitro.
- Development of laboratory production methods.
- Pilot batch of the agent.
Cooperation in organization of commercial/industrial production.
N.N. Vorozhtsov Novosibirsk Institute of Organic Chemistry, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences
9, Acad. Lavrentiev Ave, 630090, Novosibirsk, 90, Russsia
PhD. N. F. Salakhutdinov, Head of the Department